High cholesterol is considered an important risk factor for atherosclerosis, but not the only one.It is believed that the higher rates of blood cholesterol in humans, the higher the risk of developing it at various cardiovascular diseases.
However, the fight with atherosclerosis should not be cruel war against cholesterol as dangerous only one that settles on the walls of blood vessels, creating plaque.Without cholesterol the body can not exist, it is part of the scar tissue, and in fact is the building material of cells.
risk of atherosclerosis will only increase if there are common disorders of lipid metabolism - elevated levels of triglycerides and low levels of HDL - cholesterol carriers.These problems in the metabolism and stimulates the development of atherosclerosis.
course, try to maintain a normal level, and cholesterol, and still need to triglycerides.It is safest to reach this diet, physical activity and a healthy lifestyle, because taking any drugs is not without side effects and is not always justified.
- Cholesterol is less than 5, 18, and less than 200 mg per cent is the norm, above these figures - already moderately elevated.
- Many of Russians dream of such a record, as the average value of cholesterol in individuals older than 50 years in Russia is 240 mg / dl., Which of course is higher than normal.
Causes of high cholesterol in the blood
probability of increasing the level of cholesterol in the blood and acquisition human atherosclerosis is reduced to zero, if among these precipitating factors, there are a minimal number of positive responses:
- obesity, overeating, overweight
- Smoking, alcohol abuse
- lack of physical activity, sedentary work, the minimum exercise
- The daily diet is dominated by foods high in animal fats - fat meat, fat, eggs, liver, cream, whole milk, fatty cheeses, butter, sauces, peanut, palmand coconut oil, carbohydrate - pastries, cakes, chocolates, cheap milk chocolate (except bitter natural chocolate)
- Restricted diet of vitamins, minerals, fiber, fatty acids, pectins.
- Associated chronic diseases of the kidneys, liver, certain endocrine disorders, such as thyroid disease, diabetes, lack of sex hormones.
- Hereditary predisposition - if relatives defined elevated levels of bad cholesterol, the probability of its occurrence in other family members is also high.
- Statins to lower cholesterol
- Causes of high cholesterol
- Elevated cholesterol krovi- myths and reality
- Cholesterol: the rate for women and men
- How to lower cholesterol without medication
- products that reduce cholesterol
- Treatment and symptoms of cerebral arteriosclerosis
Doctors strongly recommend that every man after 20 years of annually checking your cholesterol, regular blood tests.
If you are already at a young age be outlined excess of normal values, it is necessary as soon as possible to make changes in diet, lifestyle, because high cholesterol can lead to serious cardio - vascular diseases, to early atherosclerosis, low life expectancy.Next we will look at options for how to lower cholesterol in the blood.
How to lower cholesterol in the blood
diet lowering blood cholesterol. One of the recommendations to reduce cholesterol - this diet, then there is an exception or a significant reduction in the daily diet of foods containing high amounts of cholesterol.The daily rate of cholesterol should not exceed 300 mg.However, when a stable level of cholesterol only limitation in food may be insufficient.The table shows the approximate values of cholesterol in certain foods.
|The food|| |
cholesterol, mg / 100 g
|Caviar - red, black||300|
|dry sausage||100 -110|
|beef, rabbit, duck, chicken, cheese||90|
|fat cottage cheese||60|
|Cheese 10% fat||30|
in order to reduce the cholesterol level in blood should eat the following foods that lower cholesterol in the blood:
- natural vegetable and fruit juices, mineral water.In the fight against bad cholesterol especially useful carrot, grapefruit and pomegranate juices.
- Olive, corn, sunflower oil instead of butter.Olive oil, walnuts, avocado, contain in their composition monounsaturated oils, which have a reducing effect on the level of bad cholesterol.
- only lean meat, veal, beef, poultry without the skin.
- whole grains, not refined rice, buckwheat and so on.
- fruit should be in your diet every day, it is better if it is 2 servings daily, especially useful for high cholesterol citrus.For example, grapefruit pectin, which is in the fruit pulp and peel lowers cholesterol by 7% over two months.
- Legumes - a very nutritious, affordable foods that contain a large amount of pectin - a water-soluble fiber, it can display cholesterol from the body.The same effect and have a oat and corn bran.
- Drink plenty of non-fat milk and dairy products - cheese, yogurt, kefir.
- All types of nuts are also beneficial to the cardiovascular system.
- Fish containing Omega 3, salmon and other fatty fish.Omega 3 - polyunsaturated fatty acid is a substance that reduces the viscosity of the blood and prevents the formation of thrombi.
- Garlic - this is a very useful product that lowers blood cholesterol in a natural way, but because during heat treatment beneficial properties of garlic significantly reduced, it is advisable to eat garlic fresh.However, odor reducing the possibility of its daily use.To date, the Japanese produce garlic extract "Kyo-face", is a liquid which is completely devoid of odor, but retains the beneficial properties of garlic.
- Give up bad habits such as smoking (see. What makes a video of cigarettes), alcohol abuse.Smokers have a low percentage of good cholesterol and high levels of bad cholesterol in the blood.
- If you are very fond of coffee, reduce the use of "boiling coffee."Scientific studies have shown that coffee is prepared by filtering does not increase the cholesterol levels in the blood, unlike other methods for preparing the drink.
Medications that lower blood cholesterol
Medication lowering cholesterol: For drugs that lower cholesterol include the following groups of drugs: statins, fibric acid.
- Statins - are drugs that block the production of cholesterol in the body.This group of drugs should be treated very carefully, since their use in the body stops making process mevalonate - a substance that precedes the formation of cholesterol, so the reduction of the substance, respectively, decreases blood cholesterol levels (see What is dangerous statin therapy.).But not all so simple, artificially reducing the cholesterol in the blood is a violation of other vital processes.Mevalonate body performs important biological functions, blocking production of this substance leads to disruption of adrenal function, which in turn leads to edema, various inflammation, infertility, allergies, asthma, increase in blood glucose, even brain damage.Therefore, drugs that lower cholesterol in the blood should be used with caution, only on prescription.
- fibric acid - are drugs that speed up processes in the liver fatty acid oxidation, thus there is a reduction in cholesterol and triglycerides.Among these drugs can be identified hypolipidemic agents such as fenofibrate Traykor, Lipantil and Gemfibrozil.Any medicines have some side effects, so the feasibility of reception, dosage and course of treatment is determined by a qualified technician.